For those of us who just don't have the space

I think it's normal to keep them in the kitchen. I would say that because i'm English but in most places in the rest of the world they are usually kept in the bathroom. But where should this electrical appliance really live in a less than average sided home?.....

Saturday, September 15, 2012

The washing machine debate. The UK against the rest fo the world?

When i was in the UK i kept mine in the kitchen. That is where I have always had a washing machine (apart from one house which had more space for a utility room, it was in there in that house).

I think it is a British thing to have a washing machine in the kitchen or utility room. Maybe it is just tradition there, although there is also legislation about electrics in bathrooms - you are not allowed electrical sockets (although I think you can have shaving sockets, but not sure) in bathrooms. You also are not allowed to have a light switch in a bathroom - a pull cord one is fine, just not a push type switch. This legislation would stop anyone putting a washing machine in the bathroom (aside from the fact many UK bathrooms are barely big enough for bathroom furniture to start with!).


Now, I'm in Italy, though, i have quite a large apartment where the washing machine is in the utility room but space also to go in the bathroom where there is also a Bede. I have to admit I don't mind the idea! It does make some sense... but, where should it really go?



No comments:

Post a Comment